1. Easy Access: Try to leave an aisle down the center of the storage unit for easier access and try to leave a small space between the walls and boxes to allow for air circulation.
2. Extra Space: Furniture with drawers can be utilized as storage places for pictures, silverware, small items, etc but make sure to wrap them in tablecloths, towels, or blankets to prevent breakage.
3. Photos: Photographs tend to curl over time, especially in extreme desert heat. To keep them flat, place between pieces of cardboard and tape them together. Try not to store irreplaceable photos.
4. Packing Tape: Make sure your boxes are tightly sealed with packing tape to prevent dust or other debris from entering and potentially damaging your items.
5. Books: Place books in a box either lying flat or standing upright. Packing books with the spines up and the paper edges facing down, or vice versa, will cause the books to warp and the pages to become bent over time, especially in the desert heat!
6. Inventory: Begin a packing list detailing each item you pack for storage. Keep the list somewhere safe to refer back to later.
7. Mattresses: Wrap Mattresses in plastic to keep dust and moisture from entering them while in storage.
8. Lawn Mowers and Small engines: Drain all gasoline and oil from small engines. This is a safety precaution for not only you, but for others, from the dangers of an explosion or fire.
9. Access: Place any items you wont need toward the back of the unit and items you may need in the future toward the front of the unit.
10. Appliances: Disinfect, clean and dry all appliances and leave the door cracked for ventilation.
Storage & Packing Tips
Copyright © A 24Hr Storage | All rights reserved.